I am running to raise money for blood cancer research, and most of all, to help prevent cancer from taking more lives.

Saturday, December 26, 2009

Day 26-Day After Christmas/still under the weather

Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas! The Christmas season is one of my favorite seasons followed by July 4th. We had Christmas Eve dinner with my Aunt Linda and the Spires, Butterworth and Davis Families. It was such a treat to see all of them and to spend much needed quality family time together.  I am still under the weather; I hope the benadryl and popsicles will start to work soon. I feel so behind in running. I guess the next couple of weeks will be the true test when I jump back into running. No more excuses for not running: running gear-check, shoes-check, places to run-check. I hope Santa was good to all of you and remember the reason for the season. Thank you for good health and good family and friends. Have a wonderful New Year!

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    It is really amazing that you have committed to do this marathon. And I know that you are running for a worthwhile cause. My mother was diagnosed with MDS (myelodysplastic syndrome) 2 years before she died. She didn’t tell anyone in our family, not even my Dad, that she had MDS. You know I was very close with my Mom, we talked on the phone everyday and saw each other a couple times each month. I never understood her keeping this a secret and choosing to not have the support of her family and friends during this really hard time in her life. So I was stunned when I found out 5 weeks before she passed away that she was diagnosed with MDS. Anyway MDS is a precursor for Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) which took her life at age 67 when she finally went to MD Anderson cancer center in Houston Texas to get the chemo that she needed over a year and half after her doctor told her she needed it. On the 8th day her body was just too weak to take the drugs any longer and we lost her to this terrible disease. She died 6 months after my dad did and I knew they would be happy being together again but I sure wasn’t ready for her to leave us. So Laura I surely support you and your teams efforts to cure this terrible blood disease. I miss my mother everyday and would have given anything in the world if they had been able to cure her from this illness back in 2002 and I have to think her chances for a longer life would have increased if she had only done the various treatments sooner. So keep on training for your marathon, GO LAURA!
    Love,
    Marcy (aka Aunt Marcy)

    ReplyDelete