I am running to raise money for blood cancer research, and most of all, to help prevent cancer from taking more lives.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Day 83 February 20th Sat out training this week but was a great cheerleader

Physical therapy has taught me two things: one you better do what the PT tells you so you make progress and two don't push yourself  too soon or you  might end up with a permanent injury (thanks Jana for the encouragement). This week Anu, Physical Therapist, has asked me to stop running and do other endurance activities. I have pumped up my rowing to about 3200 meters (2 miles), cycling, ellipitical trainer and swimming. Rowing is working out the best because it doesn't bother my hamstring and it keeps me in shape. Cycling is more difficult; it tends to bother my left hip more and for some reason I seem to hit the middle bar a lot with my knees.

My mentor Jenn and I both had injuries that we are trying to work through so we thought it best to still come to practice and cheer on our teammates. It was nice to see all  TNTers of National Area Chapter out running in the 20 degree weather. While standing on the curb, Jenn and I met a man who is a psychologist in DC and works with at-risk teens. He has started a chapter of http://www.teensrundc.org/. He was a nice man and has a heart for his teens.


The shoes that will help get me across the finish line. My TNT staff contact, Amy, sent an email out to us a few weeks that encouraged us to write messages on the bottom of shoes such as "Cancer Sucks" or "Beating cancer one mile at a time." So I did:

The words on the bottom of my shoes have faded away but the meaning is still there for me. Its a friendly reminder of why I get up so early on Saturday mornings to go train.

Don't forget to vote in the hair color poll. There are only a few more days left....

No comments:

Post a Comment