I am running to raise money for blood cancer research, and most of all, to help prevent cancer from taking more lives.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 81 February 18th-Hamstring injury and Special Thank yous

So I wrote on here a few days ago that I had what I thought was a knee injury. Come to find out after going to see the doctor that I have a hamstring injury. I started physical therapy on Tuesday at Patriot Sports Medicine in Fairfax and I saw Anu (she a young physical therapist who definitely knows what she is doing). Anu is very nice and is legimately concerned about my well-being. On Tuesday, there was a physical therapist student named Terry observing and asking questions. After Anu did the evaluation on my left leg, this is what she diagnosed me with: my hips were out of alignment, my left IT band was very tight, my left hamstring was tight towards my glute region but painful and sore behind my kneecap. She did some poking and massaging on my leg as well as showed me some exercises that I need to do twice a day.

She told me that I have to rest my legs for the next week. Anu will do another analysis on my leg next week so I hope I get good news. Physical therapy twice week for the next 4 weeks. I am torn right now as to do I still continue the training for the marathon with hopes that I will be ready in time or do I switch races to a later date. I don't want to switch races because I have developed relationships with my coaches and teammates. I want to be there with them when they and myself cross the finishline. At the same time, I don't want to injure myself too bad that I won't be able to exercise without pain for the rest of my life. Okay a little dramatic here but hey its what I am faced with.

I will update this with pictures very soon. I am going to practice on Saturday in Pierce Mill in the district. I will take some more pictures of my teammates and update on Saturday afternoon or Sunday. Thank you to all supporters who have sent cards, letters and donations my way. I would like to especially thank my hometown community of Gray, Georgia for supporting my efforts. I know that I may not be there with you physically but I am definitely with you spiritually. I would also like to thank my coworkers at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia for the never-ending words of encouragement and support during my training and fundraising. I would like to apologize if I dominate the conversations with running tidbits. I promise that I will be more mindful about it in the future. I couldn't say thank you to you guys without mentioning my family. You guys are the best that anyone could ever ask for. You all rock!

Stomping out cancer one mile at the time

1 comment:

  1. Oh no Laura, I hope you feel better soon. Don't overdo it! I know you would be disappointed if you had to push your race back, but you definitely don't want a permanent injury! I hope this week of rest does wonders for you!

    ReplyDelete