I am running to raise money for blood cancer research, and most of all, to help prevent cancer from taking more lives.

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Day 90 February 27 TNT is a team sport

On this Saturday morning I woke up on my own at 6:09am (this is still early for me on a Saturday morning) got the breakfast of champions (a bagel and banana), got dressed and headed up to Reston to the Washington and Old Dominion Trail. My team was running 16 and 20 milers today. I was there for team support- I didn't want them thinking that just because I was injured that I couldn't come to practice with them. I guess that's what makes Team in Training different from other organizations-we are team sport but we have a personal connection to every one on our team, our organization and honored teammates.

I got to training site early and chatted up with the TNTers and coaches. This was another combined training with our DC, VA and walk teams. I have begun to really enjoy these practice sessions because you meet people from all over the metro area and all have a stories of why they got involved with TNT. It's also nice because you can usually find one or two people who go at your pace~ love it. On this morning, I was fortunate enough to walk with a guy named Robbie and two ladies named Jenn (my mentor) and Erica. Jenn and Erica were both on the injured list with me and Robbie was great company to the trio of ladies.

No running was done with this group rather a light jog for me and a brisk walk for them. We had great conversation  everything from the "drive by," to things that make our coaches go crazy and the beautiful complexion of Erica's face. Hey she does have a beautiful face (picture to come to show you what I mean). We also talked about our families(Steve, Erica's son and my neice Jayden) and the possibilities of future races (Watch out folks Jenn is recruiting for the Triathlon in the Fall).

This training session taught me several things: Team In Training is a team sport-Some would argue but you're running. True but you are in presence of so many others that accompany you while running, cheering you on to the water stop or draping you with Mardi Gras beads and feeding you til your heart's contend at the end. You never take another step by yourself in this program. Learning about your teammates and their story is equally as important to the training. I think its what helps the organization keep the mission alive through personal stories from survivors, caregivers, loved ones and friends~We are all in it to finding a cure for blood cancers and improving the life of patients and their families.

Go TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment